Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Japan Day 2: Being Japanese For A Day,

Hello,

Day 2 in Kyoto was a little more interesting that the previous day because... WE GOT TO TRY ON JAPANESE TRADITIONAL WEAR!

There was a yukata rental shop called Yumeyakata Photo Studio that's located near where we were staying. In fact, it was just a minute walk away from our lift lobby! Had our breakfast at home before heading down to the place. It's a 4-storey building. Each level has different purposes. For instance, the first level's the lobby and the area where you pay and choose you kok-kok slippers; second storey is for ladies to choose their kimono/yukata. I can't remember which level I went for my hairdo but either level 3 or level 4 was for the guys, and another level for bags selection for the female. Wow!

Fun fact: the outfit that I was wearing was called yukata and not kimono. Kimono is a traditional wear during the winter when ladies would want a thicker traditional wear. Also, they've to wear socks to keep themselves warm too. Yukata is a thinner outfit to be worn during summer. Ah, but despite it being thinner, I felt like I was suffocating! Yukata has to be worn tightly aka NO LOOSE SPACE AT ALL! My rib cage was almost breaking when the staff helped me with the yukata. But all's good! I got used to it after 10 mins or so.


I was torn between the pink and navy blue pouches. Both are really nice but to match my yukata, I chose the latter! Anyway, I'm thankful that Mr. Z was being super spontaneous about wearing traditional outfits. I was still contemplating on our first day there because our my eczema but Mr. Z assured me so many things. Also, another reason for being so thankful was because... Most of boyfriends we saw did not wear it with their girlfriends and it was really a waste because photos are for a lifetime! It's definitely worthy to try it with your partners! No regrets!

We took public transport all the way. Yes, in our traditional outfits! We bought our tickets and headed to Fushimi Inari which is on the Keihan line. It's really convenient the attraction is just a few minutes walk away from the station itself.


The station looks very old school, just like what you always see on tv. This is also what I love about Japan. Time to explore Fushimi Inari, one of my favourite places in Kyoto!







Always very amazed by the millions of torii there. Each torii was also said to be donated by Japanese businessmen which makes each and every torii a unique one. The wordings printed/craved on each torii have different meanings. I've no idea what the wordings are because... My Chinese deteriorated. LOL!

We didn't hike all the way to the peak because we were having a hard time walking in our geta (the traditional slippers that a Japanese wears).







Left the attraction after taking tons of photos because vainpot couple! Came to this food street. We got hungry and melting under the hot sun so it's time for snacks before we proceeded to the next destination!


Beef skewers 

Mini melts





It was time for our next attraction at Ginkaku-ji Temple where it was mostly greens. Recommended only for people who like viewing natures. There was nothing much for us to see except taking photos of ourselves with the greens. Hmmm.

Tickets have to be purchased at the ticketing booth outside the temple. It costs us 500 yen each for an adult ticket. Not sure why but we had to purchase tickets for most of the temples aka tourist attractions in Japan.






Really bright!!


Philosopher's Path

The route to Nanzen-ji Temple

Let's just say that Japanese generally walk faster than me? It took us more than 7 minutes to reach Nanzen-ji Temple unlike what was stated on the signage! Both our legs were already aching super badly by this time after walking with geta for the whole day. We needed to reach Nanzen-ji Temple ASAP before making our way back to the studio. Another reason being that it's almost 6pm and we had to return our outfits by 7pm to avoid extra fees incurred. HAHAH!



We changed, went up to our apt to rest/make our bags lighter and headed for our dinner at Ippudo Ramen! Noms! It's a must to visit when one is in Kyoto! How can you miss Ippudo Ramen. Just like how can one miss Kichi Kichi Ramen (though we really missed it!)?!

Ippudo Ramen is located in a small alley. It's not really easy to spot if not for the customers queuing outside of the restaurant. Ah, indeed, it's famous among the tourists. You can easily hear Singaporean accents in the restaurant too! Hahah.







Ippudo Ramen rlly lives up to their standard! We ordered extra ramen because the glutton in me wanted more BUT I OVERESTIMATED MYSELF AS USUAL! Have yet to try the one in Singapore, I wonder how the standard would be.

Not a really interesting entry here because I focused mostly on Fushimi Inari. Totally not guilty of it! Shall end off with a vlog of how we spent our day 2 in Kyoto! :)


It's my first time uploading a travelogue here on my blog. Not sure how it'd turn out to be. Not sure if I'd be asked to remove as well due to the copyrights issues. Trial & error. Lol! I'll be changing it to private video if I'm asked to remove this video by YouTube one day.

On a side note, SJ4000 is not suitable to take videos. No image stabilisation, quality is bad and the list goes on! So much for wanting to make a nice travelogue T_T

Goodbye! 

No comments:

Post a Comment